Nov 23, 2011

BP Film Review; The Muppets

-Image from Movieweb.com



IMDB Plot Summery
With the help of three fans, The Muppets must reunite to save their old theater from a greedy oil tycoon.


By Christian Salinas

Expectations…
The first Muppet movie hit theaters back in 1979, or before the decade of my childhood, so I’ll have to admit I don’t have many memories of the actual Muppet gang being part of my childhood. I do, however, hold very close to my heart fond memories of my brother and I enjoying Saturday morning episodes of The Muppet Babies television show. (If you’ve never heard of The Muppet Babies, basically it’s a show of the baby version of most of the Muppet Characters). That being the case, I can’t help but feel predisposed to like this movie.  

Entertainment Value…
This movie is entertaining in full Muppet style. It features cheesy yet very enjoyable and pleasant musical performance/Dance-numbers and a healthy amount of well-timed and tone-appropriate celerity cameos…

Overall…
There are a lot of things I really liked about the overall tone of this movie. First, I really appreciated how the filmmakers stood firm on re-introducing the Muppets to the modern world as they were/are rather than change the essence of their characters to fit our arguably “Darker” reality.  Second, it was very nice (I might even say Beautiful) to see the Muppets were still exactly that; Muppets. At least from what I could tell as an audience member, it was clear the lovable characters were bought to life using old-fashion “movie magic” and not replaced my computer generated art. As far as the plot structure and character development, everything is on-the-surface and not very profound, but I think that’s clearly expected from children’s films and not anything that subtracts from the pleasantness of the this movie.  On a personal note: A quick glance at the audience in the theater made it pretty clear that parents were enjoying the film a lot more than their kids were. I wasn’t too surprised by this, but I was saddened to realize that it’s likely the Muppets will ultimately not work their way into the hearts of coming generations. With all their far-out silliness, and bizarre behavior, the Muppets were profoundly successful in spreading the gospel of kindness, and family love. No matter how unfunny Fozzie's jokes are, how weird Gonzo's ideas are, or how bossy Miss Piggy can be, they all, always stick together, accept each other as they are,  and love each other unconditionally. I only hope whatever characters work their way into the hearts and minds of tomorrow’s kids offer a similar message. 

The Good…
A well made family film that really respects the original source material, full of pleasant childlike silliness. 

The Not So Good…
May not speak the language of the present, and future generation of children. 

No comments: