Oct 21, 2011

BP Movie Review; Real Steel

 -Image from movieweb.com


Reviewer’s Note: Since I started writing these reviews, I set as a goal for myself to, no matter what, check out at least one of each week’s new releases. This week however, I just couldn’t bring myself to reach in my pocket, and pull out cash to buy a ticket for either one of the tree new films premiering at my local theater. Hollywood just didn’t do a good enough job at convincing me that anything premiering this week was worth my time, and money. (I will say, I have heard the Paranormal Activity sequel was well made, but since I still haven’t seen the first two, that was automatically ruled out as an option.) So I figured this would be the perfect week to “make-good” on the one review a freak power-outage prevented me from properly completing a couple week’s back. 

IMDB Plot Summery
In the near future, where robot boxing is a top sport, a struggling promoter feels he's found a champion in a discarded robot. During his hopeful rise to the top, he discovers he has an 11-year-old son who wants to know his father.

Film Review By Christian Salinas
Expectations…
The trailers for this film made it pretty clear what this movie would be all about; a loud “Robotic” Rocky, with the underdog succeeding in the end, after what would no doubt be some pretty cool Robot-on-Robot boxing matches. It was also clear that there would be some kind of father-and-son bonding moments… I would say the trailers were right on the money.

Entertainment…
This film may be lacking in deep, and thought provoking meaning… but it sure is entertaining. All of the Robot Boxing sequences, are big and loud, and I would even say engaging, plus all the sets, and extras never let the screen seem dull or boring.

Overall…
Just like all science fiction where the fantastic elements like robots and spaceships are never actually what the stories are really about, Real Steel is ultimately a story about the relationship between a father his son. I like that it never leans to heavy on either the “serious” aspects of the relationships between all the characters, and the “silliness” of boxing robots. It maintains a great balance all the way through. Of course, it’s not perfect, there is a lot of unnecessary explaining, and the final match is flooded with product placement shots, but over all I would say Real Steel is worth watching on a big screen.

The Good

A very entertaining movie full of fun action sequences, and fun likable characters.

The Not So Good
Product placement shots can be a little distracting. (but I’m pretty sure that’s something that, as a movie going audience, unfortunately we are just going to have to get used to)

No comments: